Chicory Seeds For Sale – Chicory Seeds – Chicory Plant
Chicory Seeds For Sale: Traditionally used as an additive to coffee, or as a substitute for coffee This herb is particularly useful to rid the body of parasites, which are held mostly at bay by modern medicine. The flowers, used as a poultice, help with wound healing.
Chicory Seed History
Chicory seed for sale , (Cichorium intybus), blue-flowered perennial plant of the family Asteraceae. The plant is grown as a fodder or herbage crop for cattle. Chicory root can be roasted and ground to impart additional colour, body, and bitterness to coffee. in the United States this practice is especially popular in the city of New Orleans. When flowering, chicory has a tough, grooved, and more or less hairy stem, from 30 to 100 cm (10 to 40 in) tall. Of the two rows of involucral bracts, the inner is longer and erect, the outer is shorter and spreading.
It flowers from July until October. It is used as a sweetener in the food industry with a sweetening power 10% that of sucrose and is sometimes added to yogurts as a ‘prebiotic’.
How To Grow Chicory
In warm climates, sowing outdoors or transplanting occurs September through March. Sow chicory seeds 6 to 10 inches apart in rows that are 2 to 3 feet apart. You can always thin the plants if they crowd each other but close planting discourages weeds.
- Direct sow seeds in the early spring, as soon as the soil is workable. Don’t bury the seeds too deep – 1/4 inch is plenty.
- Keep the soil moist but not wet until the seedlings emerge, which will usually take two to three weeks.
- Seeds will germinate in a broad range of temperatures (remember, these plants are the definition of unfussy).
- 70°F is the sweet spot for germination.
- Once the plants pop up, thin them to one foot apart.
- You can plant a second batch in midsummer if temperatures won’t go above 85°F.
Preserving And Storing Chicory Plant
Store chicories loosely wrapped in damp towel and kept in a plastic bag in the fridge. Tender varieties, like escarole, can wilt quickly, so use them within a few days. Properly stored, chicory will usually keep well for about 3 to 5 days in the fridge. Can you freeze chicory?
Chicory Flower Seed Recipes
Click here to get this recipe.
Use of chicory for stomach problems and an appetite stimulant. However, clinical studies are lacking to support this.
Chicory Seed Nutrition
One raw chicory root (60 grams) contains the following nutrients:
- Calories: 44
- Protein: 0.8 grams
- Carbs: 10.5 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
- Fiber: 0.9 grams
- Manganese: 7% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 7% of the RDI
- Potassium: 5% of the RDI
- Vitamin C: 5% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
- Folate: 3% of the RDI
Other Herb Varieties Worth Checking Out