openhagen Market Round, solid heads, weigh 3-4 pounds and are not prone to bursting like many cabbages. Popular cabbage for home gardens and also for shipping; will also store well. This is a good variety for making sauerkraut.
Copenhagen Cabbage Seeds History
Copenhagen Market Round, solid heads, weigh 3-4 pounds and are not prone to bursting like many cabbages. Popular cabbage for home gardens and also for shipping; will also store well. This is a good variety for making sauerkraut. ± 6,500 seeds per ounce. 70-90 days from transplant.
How To Grow Copenhagen Cabbage
- Prepare the soil in advance by mixing in aged manure and/or compost. Soil should be well-draining: roots that stand in water cause heads to split or rot.
- If starting seeds indoors, sow ¼ inch deep 6 to 8 weeks before the last spring frost. Consult our Planting Calendar for suggested dates.
- Before planting the seedlings outdoors, harden off the plants over the course of a week.
- Transplant small plants outdoors on a cloudy afternoon 2 to 3 weeks before the last spring frost date.
- Plant seedlings 12 to 24 inches apart in rows, depending on the size of head desired. The closer you plant, the smaller the cabbages.
- For a fall harvest, direct sow seeds outdoors (or plant transplants) in mid- to late summer. If your area is particularly hot and dry, hold off on planting until late summer. Make sure that the young plants don’t dry out in the summer sun’s he
Preserving And Storing Cabbage
Remove any wilted or insect-damaged outside leaves. Store cabbage in a plastic bag or wrap in the refrigerator at 41 °F or below. Cabbage will stay fresh for several weeks. Before using cabbage, cut out core of cabbage with a sharp knife and rinse leaves with cool running water.
Copenhagen Cabbage Seeds Recipe
Tender and caramelized with obsessively tasty brown bits, you’ll be twirling this cabbage on your fork, nibbling it right out of the pan, and wondering when it was that you became the sort of person who is this enthusiastic about a vegetable.
Cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable that is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. it contains powerful antioxidants that may help reduce inflammation. Your body needs vitamin C for many important functions, and it is a potent antioxidant. Red cabbage is particularly high in this nutrient, providing about 85% of the RDI per cup (89 grams).
Other Cabbage Varieties Worth Checking Out